Healthy Hair Tips
How to Maintain Beautiful Professional Hair Color at Home and the Salon
You've just stepped out of the salon with your new professional hair color that complements your style and personality. Now, the challenge is to maintain its vibrancy and longevity. Fear not! In this how-to guide, we'll explore tips and tricks for preserving your professional hair color and making it last longer. From proper hair care routines to lifestyle adjustments, let's ensure your hair color remains fresh and fabulous for as long as possible.
1. Invest in Color-Safe Hair Care: Using hair care products specifically formulated for color-treated hair is crucial to maintain your professional hair color. Look for shampoos, conditioners, and styling products labeled "color-safe" or "color-protecting." These gentle products help retain the color pigments and prevent fading. We recommend your hair care products do not skimp on quality ingredients. This is why professional at-home hair care is the best way to ensure your color lasts. Poor ingredients mean your hair isn’t receiving the proper nourishment it needs to thrive.
2. Wash with Cool Water and Invest in a Water Filter: Opt for cool water instead of hot water when washing your hair. Hot water can open the hair cuticles, allowing the color molecules to escape more easily. On the other hand, cool water helps seal the cuticles, locking in the color and maintaining its vibrancy. Although it may be tempting to indulge in a steamy shower, cooler temperatures will benefit the longevity of your hair color. Your water quality also has a significant impact on your hair's color. Harsh minerals and chemicals in our water often strip it of its natural protective shield. A showerhead filter is a perfect solution to ensure minerals and metals don't wash your investment down the drain.
3. Limit Washing and Use Dry Shampoo: Frequent washing can lead to color fading, so consider reducing the frequency of your hair washes. Aim to wash your hair every other day or every few days, depending on your hair type and lifestyle. Use a dry shampoo to refresh your hair and absorb excess oil on non-wash days. This will help preserve your color while adding volume and texture to your locks. If your ends feel a little dry, opt for a nourishing hair oil or a dry conditioner.
4. Protect Your Hair from the Sun: Like your skin, sun exposure can also affect your hair. UV rays can cause color fading and damage to the hair cuticles. Protect your hair by wearing a hat or scarf when you're out in the sun for extended periods. Additionally, use hair care and styling products with UV filters to shield your hair from the harmful effects of the sun.
5. Minimize Heat Styling: Excessive heat styling can contribute to color fading and damage. To extend the life of your professional hair color, minimize the use of heat styling tools such as flat irons, curling wands, and blow dryers. When you do use heat styling tools, apply a heat protectant to create a barrier between the heat and your hair. Opt for heat-free hairstyles like braids, buns, or natural air-drying whenever possible.
6. Schedule Regular Touch-Ups: Depending on the type of hair color and your natural hair growth rate, schedule regular touch-up appointments with your hairstylist. You will keep your hair color looking fresh and uniform by addressing regrowth and fading promptly. Consulting with a professional will help you determine the ideal time frame between touch-up sessions based on your unique hair color and maintenance needs. Ask your stylist about different professional treatments using a demi-permanent hair color to prevent over-processing and add shine and softness.
7. Maintain Overall Hair Health from the inside: Healthy hair is likelier to hold color well and appear vibrant. You can follow a well-rounded hair care routine that includes regular trims and deep conditioning treatments for healthy hair, but if you aren't nourishing your body, your hair will reflect this. A balanced diet of protein, healthy fats, and fibrous fruits and vegetables rich in vitamins and minerals will have you glowing from the inside out. Hydration is also vital. Drink plenty of water, especially in the warmer months and with more sun exposure. Try adding lemon and lime slices to your water for added vitamins and minerals to optimize your water's ability to hydrate. When your hair is healthy and strong, it can better retain its color and maintain its radiance.
Maintaining a professional hair color requires dedication, but the results are well worth the effort. After all, you've invested at the salon and want your investment to last. By following these tips and incorporating them into your hair care routine, you can extend the longevity and vibrancy of your hair color. From using color-safe products to protecting your hair from sun damage and minimizing heat styling, these practices will help you preserve your beautiful hair color for weeks and months.
Remember, it's essential to consult with your hairstylist for personalized advice based on your specific hair color and type. They can provide additional recommendations tailored to your needs and address any concerns you may have. With proper care and attention, you can enjoy the benefits of your professional hair color for longer, confidently showcasing your style and personality. So, embrace the journey of maintaining your hair color and revel in the compliments you'll receive as your vibrant and luxurious locks continue to turn heads.